To take pleasure in greens at their peak of freshness, develop your individual. Even when you’ve got solely a small house, or a container backyard, there are lots of choices obtainable that yield bountiful harvests from dwarf, compact crops.
Most greens are fast-growing annual crops that will probably be prepared to reap in 1 to three months after planting. Some greens, akin to peas and lettuce, develop finest within the cool situations of spring and fall, whereas others, akin to tomatoes, corn, and squash, want heat soil to develop nicely. Virtually all greens want full solar for vigorous development and full taste.
You may develop greens from seeds or transplants planted in wealthy soil. Hold seedlings nicely watered till you set them out in your backyard.
- When rising greens from seed, skinny out a few of the seedlings instantly after they sprout to ensure those who stay have enough room to develop nicely.
- Set out transplants promptly after buy. Most greens develop so shortly that they don’t maintain lengthy in small containers.
- Rotate crops to keep away from planting the identical vegetable in the identical house 12 months after 12 months. Rotation is your finest protection in opposition to soil-borne illnesses.
- Experiment with completely different varieties to make rising and consuming your greens extra attention-grabbing and enjoyable.
- Weed early and infrequently. After crops turn out to be established and have been thinned (or planted) to correct spacing, use mulch to regulate weeds between crops and rows.